.
“Your will to live can sustain you when you are sick, but if you lose it, your last hope is gone.” ~ Proverbs 18:14
In watching Grey’s Anatomy for the past few weeks, one thing that has really struck me is those moments when the surgeons get to a point where they have done all they can, and what is left is the patient’s will to survive and, of course, God’s intervention.
I notice it especially during heart transplant surgeries. They replace the failing heart with a new one, and then there’s this momentary struggle, this tense silence where everyone waits for the patient’s body to accept the new heart and for it to beat on its own. It’s crazy because at that point, there’s seemingly nothing more the surgeons can do. They just wait for the body to fight for itself, and that fight, that desperate attempt to keep going, is what we call the will to live.
Another instance was when they had done all they could for a patient and were simply waiting to see if the patient would wake up. The family went to the surgeon and asked if there was anything else that could be done, and he said something that I found so beautiful. He said, and I quote, “I do not have any more medicine to give you.”
I was like mehnnnnn!!
These are world class surgeons, people who have spent years learning how to save lives, and yet it gets to a point where they have done everything within their power. The rest is no longer in their hands. There is the body, there is the patient’s will to keep fighting, and there is the God factor.
So, dearest reader, I guess I said all of that to say this: don’t lose hope.
I know it sounds cliché, but anyhow you can, hold on. Don’t lose your will to live, there may come a point where everything else logs off, and all that is left is your decision to keep going and at those points, you have got to choose to stay.
Please, choose to stay.
@favvy_Okwans🖤
Comments