Percentage Love.



It’s not every day that we are able to give 100% to the people we love. There are days we are drained, depressed, tired, frustrated, or simply running on empty. And I think one of the beautiful things about friendship is learning to give each other more grace during those seasons.

I was talking with a friend today, and he mentioned something he calls “percentage love.” It sounded catchy, but the way he explained it fascinated me.

He said, when a friend is going through something and all they can give at the moment is 10% of themselves, their energy, or their capacity, sometimes, for that friendship to work, I have to give more. Maybe I have to give 50% so that together, we can still make 60%. Maybe, in that particular season, I have to carry a little more because they simply cannot.

And damn, that got me thinking.

There are relationships that probably did not need to end, they just needed more of you at a particular point in time.

Picture this.

You’ve been friends with someone for a while. It’s one of those friendships where you both give as much as you receive. Their energy is 100%, yours is 100%, and somehow, everything balances.

Then suddenly, they enter a difficult season, their 100% drops to 30%. Maybe even 20%.

And because we live in an “aura for aura” kind of world, the natural response is to match their energy. If they step back, you step back. If they stop checking in, you stop checking in. If they give less, you give less too.

But what if, instead of stepping back, you stepped up?

What if friendship sometimes means giving a little more when the other person has a little less to give?

Not because you should always carry the relationship alone, but because people have seasons. Sometimes you will be the 20%, and someone else will have to bring the 80%. Other times, you will be the one with more to give.

That, was what he explained as percentage love.

It is understanding that love is not always 50/50. Sometimes it is 80/20, sometimes 90/10, sometimes you give 30% and they give 70%. The percentages may change, but what matters is that both people are willing to show up with whatever they genuinely have.

Because sometimes, if they matter to you and the relationship is worth it, you have to give a little more than you receive.

Dearest reader, I am not saying be silly. I am not saying tolerate one-sided relationships, allow people to abuse your kindness, or constantly pour into someone who refuses to pour into you.

I am saying friendship requires grace. Sometimes love looks like matching energy, and sometimes, love looks like making up the difference.







@favvy_Okwansđź–¤.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LESS THAN ONE.

TEAM WORK

"NOT ADMITTED"