...
There's this thing people do that honestly gets on my nerves. They state the obvious.
For instance, I say, "I can't sleep," and the next suggestion is, "Have you tried closing your eyes?"
Wow. I didn't think of that.
It never occurs to some people that before someone reaches a conclusion, they've probably exhausted the most obvious options already.
Most times, when we complain, we're speaking from the point of having tried and still not getting the result we want. So when I say I can't sleep, I've already closed my eyes. When I say I have a headache, trust me, paracetamol has crossed my mind. When I say I'm tired, I've definitely considered resting.
Not every complaint is a request for obvious solutions. Sometimes people simply want to be heard, understood, or maybe offered a perspective they haven't considered, not the first thing that came to everyone else's mind.
Dearest reader, the next time someone tells you they're struggling with something, resist the urge to state the obvious. Instead, ask a question, listen a little longer, or simply acknowledge how they feel. Sometimes understanding is far more helpful than advice.
Comments